
On Friday afternoon, a co-worker sent a link to some photographs of New York City she has taken during her work visit to the East Coast. Then it hit me and I got home sick.
I miss New York City. It was my home for the last year and a half. I did what most twenty somethings dream of doing after graduating college. I had fit everything into two suitcases and exceeded the limit by a few pounds. I remember saying good bye to my parents and brother at the security gate. The next morning I arrived and took the SuperShuttle to Chappy's place in the Upper West Side. I stayed in his spare room through Columbia's dormitory housing for two weeks as I tried to find an apartment. The room was 6'-0" by 9'-0", had a twin mattress on the floor and didn't see the light of day. Everything eventually worked out and I settled in. I was missing California at the beginning (only natural) but by month four or five, I was loving it all. There's something magical about the city that you can't quite find elsewhere. New York fosters a creative energy and you can see it through the buildings, the design firms, and through the people that live there.
I think moving has been a healthy remedy for myself. I know I want to try out a European city at some point (maybe Amsterdam, London or Copenhagen). Shanghai is a beast in its own right. The last five weeks have been incredibly eye-opening as I've tried to find my niche.
Inspired by:
http://nymag.com/news/features/56014/
No comments:
Post a Comment