Tuesday, April 21, 2009

These days...

I've been learning Grasshopper for Rhino (an visually based interface for scripting), trying to learn the fundamentals of Rhino scripting, trying to learn Mandarin, memorizing everything LEED, going to the gym and meeting people here and there.  I wrote my first facade script today!  Granted it was quite elementary but now I can change the panel dimensions, spacing, and rotations!  I really like my job.  I've been learning these new digital tools and designing a bit here and there.  I think the biggest hurdle I passed last week was realizing the importance and awesomeness of scripting.  I was getting stressed out the other day for the first time in a while because there's just so much to do and learn.  

I'm going to go to the fabric market this weekend and try to get some summer dresses made.  It's basically an indoor bazaar of tailor vendors and you have to bargain your way into getting things made.  I'll start off small -- maybe one or two dresses.  I went to the electronics store the other day and salesmen and women shouted as I strolled through the overheated hallways of the four story complex.  I'll be honest, I hate bargaining.  I think it's because I'm not good at it and I don't know my Mandarin well enough.  I prefer shopping on my own terms and only wanting assistance when I want it.  (Is that very American?)  I don't want someone shouting at me as I cross into their retail boundary line.  I'd rather see the price and decide to buy it based on that price.  It's a stupid game we foreigners play with the locals.  Cut the bullshit and just name a final price - take it or leave it.  Erika says that I need to get that first good deal and I'll get pulled into this game.  Maybe this will change when I go to the fabric market.
  
After my LEED test, I'm going to go to Suzhou.  I need to start going on short weekend trips to cities near Shanghai.  I can't believe just last year Alicia and I were in D.C. on our awesome trip to see Ngan.  Time flies by so fast.  I've already reached my one month mark here.


2 comments: