I took the Bart up to San Francisco yesterday to get my work visa. Entering the Chinese Consulate felt like entering a madhouse. It was very systematic: security line, pick up a call number based on visa type, and then you wait, and wait. There were Chinese people everywhere, with no place to sit or move around freely. I was stressed and frustrated but then I realized that I'll be going to a city of 18 million people and that all the faces I will see for the next year will look like mine.
During my waiting period, I decided to wander around the Cathedral of St. Mary Assumption next door. I forgot how amazing the building was and the potential power of spiritual spaces. Although I have opinions on religion (in general) as a practice, there's no denying the strange and powerful sensation of entering a grandiose religious space. Thank you Pier Luigi Nervi.
No comments:
Post a Comment