I spent a good four hours today sitting and working in the corner of Coffee Bean. It's located in Xintiandi, a new development aimed at expats, rich locals and tourists. The developers renovated traditional shikumens, hiked up rent prices, and attracted high end restaurants, bars, and retail shops. Think of Santana Row but with real architecture. Anyways I went into Coffee Bean for lunch and tea because I couldn't bring myself to spend $10 USD on a meal alone.
I begin my money rant now...
My most expensive meal to date has been $7.70 USD and that included a drink! I guess I've become even more frugal since living in China. But come on, ten bucks for a breakfast burrito? I wouldn't even pay that in the States! And even worse, I went into a retail shop last night and the prices were around $400 USD for their clothes. The employee scanned my figure (I was wearing my puffy cream jacket so I felt like a chubby marshmallow) and then said they only carry small sizes: 0 and 1.
Our 28 story apartment complex sits at the edge of Old Town, an area of intact traditional 1-2 story houses (talk about lack of zoning requirements). There's such a divide between rich and poor. Where's the middle class? We have an Ayi that comes to clean the apartment three times a week. I could have had her clean my room too but chose not to; she would have made my bed, done my laundry, cleaned my floors, etc all for 200 RMB a month or $2.50 USD a day. I've heard the phrase "TIC" or "This is China" several times now. My co-worker says the phrase was adapted from the movie Blood Diamond. Ha! My roommate is currently having a massage in her bed by her masseuse; one hour long massage with candles lit...60 RMB. I've been very fortunate with my situation, I'm just confused as to what kind of lifestyle I want to have here. I guess I'd rather spend my money on traveling...
No comments:
Post a Comment